Thursday, May 08, 2008

Roasted Lime-Cilantro Eye of Round Roast Tacos



8 garlic cloves
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
1 Tbsp. coriander seeds
1 Tbsp. cumin seeds
1 Tbsp. coarse-grain salt
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 (4.5-pound) eye of round roast

Corn or flour tortillas, warmed

Garnishes:

Diced fresh tomatoes
Shredded cheddar and/or Jack cheese
Sour cream
Pico de Gallo
Guacamole
Cilantro

Process the first 8 ingredients in a food processor until a thick paste forms, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl.


Make 3 to 4 (1-inch) cuts in each side of roast with a sharp knife. Fill each cut with about 1 teaspoon of paste. Spread remaining paste over beef. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap; chill at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours. Unwrap roast; place in a 13-x 9-inch pan.


Bake, covered, at 325° for 3 hours and 15 minutes or until meat shreds and a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion registers 180°. (Meat will not shred below this temperature.) Let stand 10 minutes before shredding or chopping.

Serve with warm tortillas, tomatoes, cheese, guacamole, salsa, and sour cream.

Makes 12 servings

Notes:

I only used half the amount of beef (and the full amount of ingredients for the paste) and it still made plenty of meat for several meals (for two adults). I didn't include the garlic, so rather than a paste, I wound up with a marinade. I simply placed the meat in a large Ziploc bag, added the marinade and let it sit in the refrigerator over night, turning occasionally.

I also didn't bother with the 1-inch cuts in the roast.


I didn't have coriander seeds or cumin seeds, so I used 2 teaspoons of dried ground coriander and cumin. I probably could have even gone with a full tablespoon of each.

Instead of roasting the meat in the oven, I used my crock pot, cooking it for 8 hours on the low setting. It turned out great!

This is a nice alternative to my pork carnitas.
Delicious for tacos, enchiladas, or mixed with scrambled eggs (Machaca Con Huevos).

Adapted from Southern Living magazine (April 2004)

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh that sounds fantastic. I'll have to try this one sometime. And I'd go your route and use the crockpot. It seems like the perfect type of recipe for a crockpot.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Bellezza said...

I have a nice eye of round in the freezer right now, and I can see what a perfect use for it this recipe is! Last time I roasted it in the oven with an herb crust, and then put the leftovers in the crock pot for Italian beef sandwiches. This time, I'm trying these! YUM!

 
At 4:46 AM, Blogger Les said...

Sassymonkey - Yah, there's nothing like a big hunk of meat simmering away all day in a crock pot. I cut the meat into large chunks and then shredded it a little bit. It was so tender and flavorful. Enjoy! Oh, and note that I made a change in my notes. I used half the amount of beef, but the full amount of "marinade."

Bellezza - Oooh, what kind of an herb crust? I may have to get that recipe from you! Coincidentally, Rod took some of the leftover meat from this recipe and added some KC BBQ sauce and made a BBQ beef sandwich. Said it was delicious!

Note the change in the recipe, as mentioned above to Sassy. Half the meat, but all the marinade.

 
At 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds like the perfect lunch :).

We would like to feature your tacos on our blog. Please email sophiekiblogger@gmail.com if interested. Thanks :)

You can view our blog here:
blog.keyingredient.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home