Sunday, February 03, 2008

Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing


1 lb. fresh spinach
1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
12 oz. bacon, cooked and crumbled (not too small)
Poppy seed dressing (recipe follows)

Removed stems from spinach and wash several times in cold water. Drain and refrigerate at least 2 hours.

At serving time, fill bowl with spinach and arrange mushrooms and chopped eggs on top. Sprinkle cooked bacon pieces over all and top with a generous amount of poppy seed dressing. Toss to coat.

Poppy Seed Dressing

1 cup canola oil
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 Tbsp. dry mustard
1/2 Tbsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. poppy seeds

Mix all ingredients; using whisk, whip until thoroughly blended. Let rest 10 minutes and whip again. Stir before using.

Yield: 1 pint (2 cups)

Dressing keeps at least 2 weeks in refrigerator.

Note:

I use my Braun MR430HC Multiquick Deluxe Hand Blender & Chopper to mix the dressing ingredients. It makes a very nice creamy dressing.



This is another fabulous recipe from one of our visits to The Mast Farm Inn in Valle Crucis, North Carolina.

Adapted from Mast Farm Inn Family Style Cookbook

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 8:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This one sounds very yummy. I love poppy seed dressing.

 
At 12:51 PM, Blogger Les said...

Kay - I love poppy seed dressing, too. I like the way my hand mixer thickens the dressing. I used to just use a whisk to mix it all together, but I think it's a bit better when it's thick.

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger Andi said...

Mmm, this looks delicious. I love spinach and I'm always looking for new yummy salads and dressings.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Les said...

Andi - I made this again last week and added mandarin oranges. I think sliced strawberries would be good, too.

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Bellezza said...

I have one of these nifty gizmos, but it's much older. Aren't they great? I like using it to puree soups, too.

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Les said...

I use mine for soup, salad dressings, marinades, etc. Pretty much anything that calls for a blender or food processor.

 
At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yuuuummmmy.....It was so good! Thanks for sharing!!!

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger Les said...

Annonymous - You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home