Saturday, December 23, 2006

Shortbread Cookies



1 cup butter
1 cup margarine
1 cup powdered sugar
3 1/2 cups flour (if using a cookie press)
4 cups flour (if rolling)
Candied cherries, cut into tiny pieces

Preheat oven to 350°

Cream butter and margarine together in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer.

Add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.

Add flour, 1 cup at a time. Mix until well-incorporated.

Fill cookie presswith dough and press out to desired shape on cookie sheets. Decorate with cut-up candied cherries.

Bake until golden, approximately 10-12 minutes.

Remove from cookie sheets and cool on wire racks.

Store in airtight container. These keep very well in refrigerator or freezer until ready to eat.

Yield: 12-13 dozen!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 3:28 PM, Blogger Tia in Oregon said...

I haven't made these in several years, but they look so good I think I'll have to plan on making them for Christmas next year! The recipe came from a friend in Valleyview, Alberta in 1966!
Mom

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger Les said...

I like the recipe because it makes so many cookies for very little effort. Cutting up the cherries gets a bit tedious, but the rest is very easy.

 
At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to use a cookie press, and then I just got mad about filling it in with the dough then cleaning it after I was done. I'm rather low maintenance (okay, when it comes to cooking, not lipsticks!) and I admire the beautiful way your shortbread turned out! Now matter how you slice them shortbread are delicious with tea, are they not? Or, even with a poke in the eye. ;)

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Les said...

Bellezza - Those cookie guns can be quite a nuisance, especially as the dough gets warmer. It's not something I want to use when I'm in a bad mood or running short on patience! ;)

Yep, shortbread is one of my all-time favorite desserts. These cookies are delicious when chilled. I could easily eat a couple of dozen!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home