Thursday, December 07, 2006

Rod's Buttermilk Pancakes





In spite of the recipe name, somewhere along the way I became the pancake chef in our family. I'm sure it's because I wanted Rod to enjoy the hot pancakes rather than me being a control freak. Really. :)

1 and 1/4 cups flour

2 tsp. baking powder
1 and 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 egg
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil

Mix all dry ingredients.

Combine egg, milk and oil. Add to dry ingredients until just moistened. Allow to sit for a couple of minutes.

Cook on hot griddle.

These are sooooo good! You'll never use Bisquick again!

Yield: 2 dozen

Note:

I spread about 1 Tbsp. of butter on the hot griddle, right before pouring the pancake batter on. It helps give the pancakes a crispy edge. I do this for each new batch of pancakes.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Hmmm...they look delicious. I've been wanting some real pancakes with sausage (hm...or maybe bacon) lately. I may have to add this to my menu soon!

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Les said...

They are! They are! We had them with bacon. Crispy, almost burnt, bacon. Yum. I'm making myself hungry!

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Oh these look delicious! I haven't had pancakes for dinner since I was a little kid...time to change that. (I have a food blog too that I'll start posting more on come the new year.)

Heather

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yum!! Would go great with the maple syrup I brought back from Canada! Can you make them with regular milk as I really don't think I'd find buttermilk here? I usually end up making French Toast instead of pancakes since it's simpler, ingredient-wise.

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger Les said...

Heather (Orange Blossom Goddess) - Oooh, another food blog! I'll have to come visit. :)

Nat - You have two options:

1 cup of buttermilk = 1 cup milk PLUS 1 Tbsp vinegar or lemon juice (let stand for 10 minutes before using in recipe)

or

1 cup of buttermilk = 1 cup milk PLUS 1-3/4 teaspoons cream of tartar

I'm not sure about just using milk. You could always try it, maybe starting with a smaller amount since buttermilk is a bit thicker. The batter is pretty thin, though. Not at all like Bisquick!

 
At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmmmm, I thought so much of you this morning, Les...I took the girls to a French breakfast place called "Chez Coras" and we had crepes. Next Sunday I'm going to try your pancake recipe!

 
At 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pass on to Rod that his pancake recipe was de-lish! We just finished eating them for supper tonight with sausage. YUM!

We eat breakfast-for-supper at least once a month, year round.

Anita in Texas

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Les said...

Lotus - Ooooh, I love crepes. Haven't made them in YEARS! I'll have to give them a whirl sometime this winter. Hope you enjoy Rod's pancakes next weekend. :)

Anita - I'll let Rod know you enjoyed them. You know, they're pretty good for leftovers the next morning (with peanut butter and jelly). Mmmm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home