Friday, March 30, 2007

Irresistible Irish Soda Bread




3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/3 cup white sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.

Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda. Blend egg and buttermilk together, and add all at once to the flour mixture. Mix until just moistened. Stir in melted butter. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for 65-70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the bread comes outs clean. Cool on a wire rack. Wrap in foil for several hours, or overnight, for best flavor.

This is so good and extremely easy! I got the recipe from my good friend, Cindy Renner. She got it from Allrecipes.com

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 10:41 AM, Blogger Nan said...

I've just copied this out and put it in my email cooking folder. I might even make it tonight! Sounds and looks so good!

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Les said...

This is a very cakey bread. I absolutely love it warm or toasted, dripping with butter and jam. Good thing I have a new job that gets me moving around!

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Nan said...

I made it! I used 1 cup whole wheat, 2 cups white. 2 t. baking powder, and regular whole milk. I baked it in a 7 x 11 pan just because in the past this has worked better for quick breads for me, and it is delicious, sublime, perfect. We had it with corn chowder for supper. Thanks, Les, for a real keeper.

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Les said...

Yay! I'm glad you made it, and I'm glad to know it's good with regular milk, as well as buttermilk. It's one that would be easy enough to make at the last minute and knowing that you can use regular milk is good since I don't always have buttermilk on hand. I'll let my friend know that you tried and enjoyed it!

 
At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Heidi said...

Thanks Nan for posting. I'm so making it that way:)

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger Les said...

Hope you enjoy it, Heidi. I need to make this again. It's been a long time...

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger Mary said...

I must say this turned out very well, and it was delicious. I've added it to my recipe binder. But where are the raisins and caraway. A must for true soda bread. My nan from Co. Cavan would screaming like a banshee at them being missing. Plus it's a bit too much sugar. ( for us anyway) but I've had Irish soda bread my entire life and it's like spaghetti sauce, basic ingredients but everyone's is different. Thumbs up though and sometimes something sweet is needed with your tea :-D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home